Skip to main content

Weekend Snapshots


I had quite the weekend, not actually food related, mostly sports related with food scattered here and there. Yesterday, we had brunch at a bar called Bill's Off Broadway.  


Why at a bar, you ask?  Because we had the unfortunate conflict of having tickets to the Book of Mormon Broadway musical, while the Seattle Seahawks were to play their first post-season playoff game in Minnesota close to the same time.  We knew we would most likely miss the 4th quarter since the play started at 1:00 pm and the game started at 10:00 am.  We decided to record the game and watch the 4th quarter when we got home.  We would force ourselves not to look at our smart phones to see what happened and watch our recording at home to get the full effect of the outcome.  NOT HAPPENING.  We debated a lot about what to do about this dilemma.  I guess you could say it was a botched Christmas present from me.  The minute I bought the tickets, it hit me that the Seahawks might be playing in the play-offs.  I couldn't buy week night tickets to the musical because Bruce has been traveling for work so much. (He was gone all last week and got home Saturday.)  Sunday is really the only time I can buy tickets to fun things around here because of his work schedule. Lauren wanted to see this musical, too, so I got 2 tickets for her, too.  She was thrilled since she loves the music and many of her friends have seen it.  She was optimistic that we could make this dilemma work out.  It was actually fun watching the game at this sports bar that was a 10 minute walk to the Paramount Theater.
 

It was a low scoring, close, intense game for the first 3 quarters.  The Seahawks were not playing their best but the defense surely was. They kept the Vikings unable to score a touchdown, only field goals.  But then we couldn't make a touchdown, either.  Finally, at the beginning of the 4th quarter, we made a touchdown and all looked more promising, but we had to leave.  As we were walking to the Paramount Theater, we heard a big up-roar from somewhere. Something happened favorable for the Seahawks. We don't know where the roar came from, somewhere in the city. We had to check our smart phones.  An interception!  Once again, we debated how to handle this dilemma.  It was unanimous that we needed to change our plan.  Smart phones it was. The Seahawks made a field goal.  We were ahead 10-9.   Soon, we arrived at the Paramount.



We could hear people talking about the game.  I was really trying to enjoy myself at this beautiful venue and not think about the Seahawks.  NOT HAPPENING.




The last time I was here was for Mamma Mia several years ago with a girlfriend.  Lauren was here in July to see Modest Mouse.



It's just so fun to come to an event here because the architecture is so beautiful.


We soon found our seats and pretty much every other person was looking at their smart phone.  One guy in front of us was streaming the game on his phone and Bruce was peering over his shoulder talking to him.  The Vikings now had the ball and were ready to kick a 20-something foot field goal.  Bummer.  Suddenly, the musical was starting and the announcement overhead said to please turn off all cell phones.  What?...NOT HAPPENING.  I mean, really NOT HAPPENING!  The crowd just started making noise and suddenly everyone started cheering.  Bruce almost started crying, "They missed the field goal!" What? Really?  Then the whole theater started chanting, "Sea-hawks, Sea-hawks!" It was a goosebumps type moment.  Unbelievable.  Unforgettable.  A video has emerged from somebody sitting about 10 rows ahead of us.

               

You can see a guy running around giving high-fives and Bruce high-fived him when he ran up our row.  I also thought about video taping the moment but I was a little late and missed the most exciting part.  





This was a sports moment we will never forget. 

This was the highlight of my weekend and needless to say, we did go home and re-watch it from our recording.  We couldn't stop talking about it.  It's certainly not uncommon for the Seahawks to finish in a dramatic fashion and once again they do it again. We just happened to be in the Paramount Theater.

The other big sports news was Ken Griffey, Jr. getting voted into the Hall of Fame and his number is still flying overhead on the Space Needle.  


This was a historical event because it was almost an unanimous vote.  He was only 3 votes short of unanimous which has never happened before.  



Nick and Lauren grew up watching Ken Griffey, Jr play for the Mariners.  I wrote about him in my post when he was inducted into the Mariner's Hall of Fame.  We just love him and this city loves him.  It's been quite a lot of sports activity around here and I'm so glad we are here to experience it.  Unforgettable.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had