Skip to main content

It's A Wonderful Life



“Each person’s life touches so many other lives…”

On Sunday, Bruce and I walked up to our neighborhood preforming arts theater called ArtsWest at "the Junction".  



It's A Wonderful Life is playing from December 3-27th and I didn't want to miss it.  It just happens to be one of my all-time favorite movies.  We watch it every year at Christmas time.  Nick and Lauren were forced to watch it every year at Christmas time.  Now, Bruce is not only forced to watch it every year at Christmas time with me but to also accompany me to the play.  Needless to say, I know every line in the movie.  I love all the characters and love the story line of how one man's sacrifices affect so many lives of people in the town.  This version of It's A Wonderful Life was an adaptation written by Helen Pafumi and Jason Lott, a one-person retelling of Frank Capra's classic film.  




It was like storytelling time by an exceptional actor, Andrew Lee Creech. He was so captivating. Not only was he able to conjure up the energy to convince, entertain, and compel for 70 minutes, all on his own, but he was also excellent at portraying all the unique characters through gestures and poise - and able to flip back and forth between them in an instant.  There were a few prompts including sound prompts, but that's all.


I think it might have been slightly confusing if you didn't know the story.  The first half of the play was the whole back story of George Bailey and all the characters of Bedford Falls.  I loved this part because I love all the characters and the dialogue was word-for-word from the movie.  I almost found myself reciting along and had to restrain myself from blurting out, "Oh, I love this part!".  



 

Once George goes back into the world where he never existed, the lighting changed to orange, giving a mysterious effect.



My favorite part of this section is the character Nick, who worked at Martini's bar.  He turned out so mean when living in Pottersville.  He ended up throwing George and Clarence out of the bar and making fun of Mr. Gower, who came panhandling, now a drunk.  Andrew Lee Creech was excellent portraying all of them.  


Andrew Lee Creech was also very good at expressing how devastated George was when Potter told him, "You're worth more dead than alive!"  And then again, after George saw how life was without him and how badly he wanted to go back. " Clarence, help me Clarence, please!  Get me back!  I want to live again".



And then, of course, the best part of all; George running through the streets of Bedford Falls saying Merry Christmas to everyone, even the bank examiners.  "Hello, Mr. Bank Examiner! Isn't it wonderful, I'm going to jail!"  


It just brings tears to your eyes, it's so heartwarming.  I wouldn't mind going back for a second showing and letting Andrew Lee Creech tell me the story all over again.


"Every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings"









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friend lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, t...

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides ...

Top Pot Doughnuts

I just returned from another weekend in Seattle and for the first time, I actually went to a Top Pot Doughnut shop.  I've had their doughnuts before because they serve them at Starbuck's and I've seen their shops in Seattle when I visit because there is now one right across the street from our old house in Wedgwood.   Now, our daughter, lives in another old neighborhood of mine on Capitol Hill and right around the corner from her house is a Top Pot. There were not eateries like this in my old neighborhoods when I lived in Seattle.  And our daughter literally lives steps away from my old house on Capitol Hill where I lived when I was her age.  There are so many more luxuries and temptations lurking around the corner in Seattle neighborhoods more so than when I lived there but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.  Being that I'm one that mostly gives in to temptation, it's probably a good thing they didn't exist when I lived there. ...