Skip to main content

Moving to Seattle



Today, a new chapter in our lives begin. Our house is officially for sale and we are moving back to Seattle. Our life on our little "mini farm" has come to an end after 17 years. It has been a process that we have been planning for a long time, over a year. We've been planning to downsize for awhile and to return to the place where we came from, where Bruce and I met, where we got married, where our children were born.  Thinking back over the years, we will never forget all we've learned about caring for chickens, gardening, raising fruit trees, canning the fruit from the fruit trees, raising dairy goats and a horse


getting rid of wasps nests, getting rid of gophers, repairing fencing, repairing sprinklers, keeping the neighborhood pump and irrigation system running (Bruce has been President of our Neighborhood Association for several years) and I - starting this blog. It has been a journey. Nick and Lauren have been long gone, both returning to Seattle, Nick now in Japan. It's been lonely here on this acreage without them because we initially bought this place with them, knowing it would be a good place to raise two teenagers and now we miss them. 


But we were lucky that this house was the place all their friends wanted to come over and to hang out, watching movies in the theater room, sleep-overs in the theater room, the place where the "before and after prom" took place


their birthday parties including a band in the backyard


an "amazing race" theme party, multiple Halloween parties including a spook house, ping pong and foosball in the back room.


It's been a perfect house for reunions 


and "sisters' weekends"



Thanksgiving dinners



Christmas dinners


Christmas parties


super bowl parties







and salmon barbecues.





Much of this food and fun times I've blogged about over the years, you probably remember. With just Bruce and I living on this "mini farm", we decided the time is right now for us to make the change. We've always missed our friends in Seattle and now we miss Nick and Lauren. Seattle is just that much closer to Japan, a nonstop flight to see Nick, while Lauren will be just minutes away. In fact, she will be living with us for a bit while she finishes school.  I can't wait to be together again. Our house in Seattle awaits us, a house we recently just purchased, ready to move in.   With all our return trips to Seattle over the years (which I've also blogged about), we've always longed to return which was probably obvious in all my blog posts so now that is exactly what we're doing.  My blog will continue, but I suppose I will be giving it a new twist besides chickens in the background, maybe the "urban kitchen" or something like that.  I really don't know yet but my blog will continue. It will be a new chapter in our lives but it won't be new.  It will be home.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had