Skip to main content

Peach Smash


This delicious drink was enjoyed over Memorial Day weekend on our first night of "sisters weekend" as everyone was arriving from out of town Friday night.  I had a total of nine guests staying at our house until Monday.  My menu planning skills were in full force and Bruce and I made all our favorite things including teriyaki flank steak on Sunday night,







which goes really well with the herbes de provence crusted lamb chops that we had on Saturday night,


along with cheesy, jalapeño and chive biscuits, cheesy potatoes, coleslaw, roasted asparagus and much, much, more! You can't say that any of us went hungry.  Every night was a feast including Monday when we barbecued a turkey.



Monday was my dad's birthday, who passed away in 1993, and my dad's speciality was to barbecue a turkey. He had one of those rotisserie barbecues and the turkey would spin around all day long. He would baste it all day with his homemade barbecue sauce so the flavor was just mouth watering delicious. When it was done, it was so moist, the meat would just fall off the bone. We loved going over to my mom and dad's house in the summer for his barbecued turkey. Bruce and I had never done a turkey before on the traeger so this was the time to try it, in memory of my dad while everyone was here.  And it turned out perfect!



Like I said, everyday was a feast starting with my homemade lasagna on Friday night as everyone arrived.


So, that covers all the food, now the beverages we had all weekend were just as good!


We visited my brother as he made some of his own craft beer


 and then we got to sample some of his honey wheat Hefeweizen...delicious!




He brought some over for dinner Sunday night.


On Saturday, we went wine tasting at Fraser winery tasting room


and was given the full guest treatment by owner, Bev Fraser. (Also known as mother-in-law to my brother!)


Fraser wine has won many awards 


and we went through many bottles over the weekend.  It goes quite well with my chocolate brownie cookies.


We all contributed our own homemade drinks, as well as the crafted beer and wine we got to enjoy over the weekend. One of my sisters brought her special summer drink she enjoys called Peach Smash and they really started our weekend out on Friday night with a Smash!


Makes 4-6 drinks


           Place in a blender:

 One 6 ounce can frozen unsweetened pineapple juice concentrate, undiluted

1/2 - 2/3 cup rum, vodka or gin

1 fresh peach, pitted or 1/2 of a 10 ounce package frozen peach slices

1 Tbsp. triple sec

4-5 ice cubes


Blend at high speed until smooth and slushy. 


Pour into champagne glasses or Old-Fashioned glass. 


Garnish with fresh mint sprig. 


Dust with powdered sugar.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had