Skip to main content

Setting the table



Is it too early to set the table for Thanksgiving?  That's what I'm doing today because it's on my list.  Actually, today I'm also making my list for the coming days ahead.  This is going to be an easy Thanksgiving because we have only 5 of us and the big eater, Nick, won't be here since he and Sachiyo are in Japan this year. 



Nick always looked so forward to eating all this favorite foods during this time and Lauren does too, but just not in the same quantity.  I also have a lot of time off from work this year so I'm not in such a time crunch as I was last year so actually, I probably don't even need do a list, but I like doing one anyway so I will!  I also like setting the table so that's what I plan to do today for fun. I got new napkins and turkey napkins rings for half price this week so I'm eager to see how they look on the table, as you can see above.  I think they are quite effective!  I've never had turkey napkins rings after all these years of doing Thanksgiving so they do add a special touch to the event. The reason I like to set the table is because I like getting out all my cute little Thanksgiving trinkets I put on the table.  These little squirrels are new this year.



They are another half price item from last year shopping after Thanksgiving, as were the acorns that I sprinkle around the table. (from Pottery Barn which have gold covered acorns this year)  I've had the pilgrims made from eggs for years.  I also have multiple turkey candles on the table




and around the house.  You can never have too many candles and ones that look like turkeys are especially appropriate.



I never burn them because I don't know where to buy more.  I think I also got them at Pottery Barn a few years back and don't see them around to replace so I have to save them each year.  I buy the usual taper candles to burn since you can buy those anywhere.  This year, I also have a new addition of the salt and pepper shakers I bought in New Orleans in January which look perfect with the French chickens on them.


When I bought the napkins and turkey napkins rings, I also bought this water pitcher on sale





because it went perfect with the amber water glasses I got a few years back.




These go well with both Thanksgiving and Christmas theme since I have the gold charger plates. As you can see, it really takes YEARS to get all the stuff to coordinate setting a table for a festive occasion!  I got these wooden pilgrims something like 15 years ago at a craft fair which I've used for years.  I've never gotten tired of them which happens to a lot of old stuff and then I put them in the Goodwill pile and move on to something more contemporary.  But I've always like these, simple but effective.



Every year I plan to polish the silver which I plan to do again this year so it's not on the table yet. And every year I don't polish the silver…it's not one the of things I like to do.  Funny, it never seems to make it on the list, either, which is why it doesn't get done.  Interesting how that works. But when it's all said and done, it makes for another mouth watering table to sit down to for the feast.  Have fun with all your preparations this year!




Comments

  1. Hey, I have an idea: put my name-card on the table, then put a computer there, and I will Skype in from Japan during your dinner! Unfortunately I won't be able to eat any of your delicious food though. It has been nice spending the last two Thanksgivings in Idaho, and I will definitely miss being there this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll miss you, too, but I love the Skype idea! We'll do it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had