As everyone else writes about Veteran's Day, I write about my mother who's birthday is today. She passed away in 2009 but today we remember her. I was in Seattle with my sisters and we wanted to do something for her birthday. We decided to have lunch at Dick's Drive-in because she always loved it when we took her there, her favorite place for a hamburger.
Dick's Drive-in is a Seattle classic. It hasn't changed in 60 years, still looks the same, still the same simple menu, still must walk up to the window and order, no tables or seating, just take your food back to your car and eat it.
The prices are cheap but they pay their employees well and offer health benefits, a desirable fast food place to work. They also use local beef in the burgers. We like the cheeseburgers best with fries - delicious - and milkshakes - delicious. They also have regular hamburgers and Dick's Deluxe. That's about it. A simple menu! On this day, we got back to our car and opened our bags to find an extra cheeseburger mistakenly placed in our order.
We think it was the spirit of Dick's remembering mom, too, placing her cheeseburger in with our order. I wish you were here, Mom, to eat your cheeseburger with us. We know how much you loved them and we loved taking you to Dick's to get one. We talked about many memories of mom this weekend and this day, especially. We drove by our old house that is just down the street from Dick's on 1st Ave. N.E. - where I was born - and it actually looked quite the same.
My sister, Barbara, is the oldest sibling and she remembers Dick's Drive-in when we lived here but I was pretty young and don't remember. We moved from this house when I was 4 years old but Dick's Drive-in continued and still thrives. So, mom, this lunch is for you, we celebrate you on this day, at Dick's Drive-in.


I love it! That extra cheeseburger was definitely for Grandma. That is awesome you went Dicks on Grandma's birthday. You should do that every year.
ReplyDelete