Skip to main content

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce


Tonight I made some homemade spaghetti sauce that turned out great!  I usually make spaghetti sauce this time of year with all our tomatoes and now I'm starting to wonder if different varieties of tomatoes make for more sweet sauce and less acidic sauce because this year my sauce was super sweet! Sometimes I make homemade sauce and I have to add sugar to tame the acid from the tomatoes but this time not at all and the sauce was so sweet.  We gobbled it down!  We used Big Beef tomatoes and Early Girl which are two common varieties. Then I wondered if simmering the sauce all day will turn out more sweet sauce because that's what I did.  It started getting a little too thick so I added 8 ounces of chicken broth to thin out the sauce.  I'm not sure what the trick was this year but this was the best spaghetti sauce I've made so I'm keeping this recipe. 

Serves 4


3-4 pounds of Big Beef and Early Girl tomatoes picked right off the vine

2 Tbsp. olive oil
8 cloves of garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. basil
1 Tbsp. oregano
2 or so bay leaves
8 ounces of chicken broth.  I use these:



I like the little 8 ounce boxes they come in which seem to be the perfect size for all the things I need a little broth for. 

1 pound of 
Mulays Mild Italian Sausage

I've been using this mild Italian sausage for my spaghetti sauce and lasagna lately because it adds the perfect flavor to it.   In combination with the super sweet tomatoes, it's truly irresistible!

Before making the sauce, you'll need to remove the skins from the tomatoes. Boil a pot of water and have a bowl of ice water nearby.  Slice a shallow X into the bottom of each tomato. Boil 3-4 tomatoes in the pot of water until you see the X begin to split open, or about 25 seconds.  Remove with a slotted spoon and immediately place tomatoes into the bowl of ice water for a few more seconds.  Remove the tomatoes from the ice water and peel the skin at the X, removing the skins easily.


1.  Drizzle 2 Tbsp. or so of olive oil into a pot and heat.


2.  Add minced garlic and saute garlic in olive oil until light brown and fragrant.


3.  Add tomatoes and heat until simmering.  Stir with a large spoon and smash tomatoes against the sides of the pot until tomatoes are chopped up into pieces.  Continue simmering.





4.  Add basil, oregano and bay leaves.

5.  Continue simmering the rest of the day for several hours.  If the liquid appears to evaporate, add a little broth for added liquid.


6.  In another pan, saute the Italian sausage stirring constantly until the meat crumbles into small pieces.  Drain off the grease.


7.  Add the tomato sauce mixture to the meat.


8.  Cook spaghetti in a pan of boiling water. Drain and serve with spaghetti sauce spooned on top with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had