Skip to main content

Broadway



Broadway - Seattle, not New York, that is…

This is Lauren's neighborhood so when we come to Seattle to visit - like we are now - we spend a lot of time on Broadway, a main north/south arterial on First Hill and Capitol Hill. Broadway is only one street but it's more like a district of a six block shopping strip with trendy boutiques and restaurants. Our favorite breakfast cafe is located here called Julia's where we ate today.


We've been eating breakfast here for at least 25 years, usually at the Wallingford location, but now that Lauren lives on Capitol Hill we often stop in at Julia's on Broadway.



Julia's offers the ultimate comfort food for breakfast, we love everything on the menu.  My favorite is the green chili and pepper jack cheese scramble.



Bruce likes the Eggs Benedict.



Inside is always a cozy atmosphere




and always inviting.


Julia's on Broadway comes alive at night, however.  There is a stage in this location that they close off with a curtain during dinning hours



but we have been walking down Broadway at night past Julia's during their show…drag show, that is.




Gotta love Cher!  And they do, on Broadway!



Walking up and down Broadway is always free entertainment.  When Bruce and I were dating, we often just walked up to Broadway to take in all the activity.  I lived on Capitol Hill, too, just like Lauren does now.  They have since added another Bellevue E. since I lived there 32 years ago since they are building on every inch of Capitol Hill!  



Our favorite thing Bruce and I use to do was walk up to Broadway and go to Dilettantes.  This was on my list to do on my birthday this year.



After breakfast, we walked down Broadway to take in the activity again



with lots of construction going on here as there always has been over the years.



Now they are building the light rail Capitol Hill Station


It's nice that the construction workers can just go across the street and eat at Dick's.



Dick's Drive-In is a classic Seattle eatery that has not changed since the 50's and there is one on Broadway, of course.


The construction workers found these old wooden planks 38 feet below the surface when they started digging which was part of old Seattle walkways, roads and drains from the late 1800's.



It's interesting reading all the stuff on the construction wall along Broadway.


After we passed the construction site, we walked into Cal Anderson Park adjacent to Broadway.




This use to be an old reservoir that has now been turned into a park.  The reservoir had a track around it where I use to jog when I lived on Capitol Hill.



They have kept one of the original buildings at the park, now with modern ball fields and play grounds.


We continued walking and passed one of Lauren's favorite new places, a hard cider bar.



It's like a regular bar except they offer all types of flavors of hard cider like a jalapeno-ginger hard cider that Lauren said was delicious.


Then we passed the statue of Jimi Hendrix on Broadway who was born in Seattle, another Seattle icon.


As we continued our walk down Broadway you can see the dance steps if you want to try some ballroom dancing.


These have been here at least 20 years, long before Dancing With the Stars was popular.


It's always fun looking at all the unique shops on Broadway


and of course Starbuck's.  I like the looks of this Starbuck's building on Broadway.  Very classy.


If you want some free entertainment next time you're in Seattle, just go up to Broadway and take a stroll.  I can assure you that you will see lots of interesting sights.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had