Skip to main content

Fair Food


This was the last weekend of the Fair so we decided to check it out last night. Everyone has their favorite part of the Fair...the food




the rides 




the animals




the entertainment





the blue ribbon winners



 the old-fashioned farm competitions



…I'm not sure what mine is but I know it's not the food!  We have a term in our family when we go somewhere and the food is bad we'll say, "It's like Fair Food!" We just got overdosed on it when Nick and Lauren were in 4-H and we spent a lot of time at the Fair.



I'm only now just starting to enjoy going to the Fair again.  I actually ran into two moms from 4-H who are still volunteering in different animal sections.  It was fun visiting with them and hearing about their children as adults now when I still remember them as little 4-Hers.  I guess I'd have to say my favorite part of the Fair is the memories! It's fun remembering those 4-H days but I don't miss the work of it.  We actually stood and watched a lady milk her dairy goats for awhile remembering that routine.  She'd let one goat out of the pen…without any restraints…and it would just run down the aisle, turn the corner and jump onto the milking stand, all on it's own.  She didn't know we were watching from afar and just laughing as we remembered how the goats loved their milking stand!  



They mainly loved it because we fed them grain while they were getting milked. (bribing an animal with food is always a good thing!) The animal breeders are at the Fair now so all the animals are the top notch ones. So, besides the memories, my favorite part of the Fair is looking at the blue ribbon winners. I know how much work goes into everything, whether it be an animal entry or a homemade entry.




The work people do is always amazing to me, like spinning your own yarn and dying it for lots of colors.




Amazing!  I like looking at all the displays, too.




And so does Bruce.



And the food really isn't that bad anymore…if you know what to get.  We got the stir & fry chicken/veggies/soba noodles from the Hawaiian booth.




This place was always Nick's favorite booth - the mini donuts!




And the Idaho baked potato ice cream is still intriguing to me.



I just can't get over how much they appear like real baked potatoes!  They take a scoop of ice cream and sprinkle cocoa powder over it and split it down the middle. The whipped cream is the sour cream and the crushed oreo cookies and nuts is the salt and pepper.



I think it's been enough years gone by that I'm getting over my overdosed mentality of the Fair now.   It's fun being a paying customer.




Look!  It's Bubble Boy!



The other part of the Fair is the reminder that summer is over and fall is coming. I'm not ready for fall…I love summer and it was a fun summer this year but with football starting, school is starting, and now the Fair, I know summer is closing in on us. You can feel it in the air now.




Goodbye to a fun summer.  Fall adventures ahead.








  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had