Skip to main content

More Food of New Orleans


We've been home from New Orleans for four days now and we are still eating our delicious pralines we brought with us.  I brought some home to distribute as souvenirs to my two office co-workers, the perfect taste of sweetness of New Orleans.  Now, Bruce and I are planning our Super Bowl party with a New Orleans theme since the game will be played there.  We saw the Super Dome when we were driving to and from the airport as well as lots of signs about it like "Expect Mayhem!"  (since it's also during Mardi Gras)



We've been thinking of all the food we want to have at our Super Bowl party that will remind us of this beautiful and historic city.


Pralines

Pralines are a popular Southern candy that actually originated here. It turns out that the French settlers brought the recipe to Louisiana where both sugar cane and pecan trees are plentiful…makes sense.  Pralines have a creamy consistency, similar to fudge and I've noticed while we were there that they come is all flavors according to your liking, like chocolate.


Roux


This is a sign from my favorite kitchen shop I found in the French Quarter and I thought it was catchy name. Apparently, roux is a part of the classic creole cuisine of Louisiana.  (It is an equal mixture of flour and fat - I usually use butter - used to thicken sauces)  The classic creole cooking method uses oil whereas in Italian cooking they use butter.  The french use roux in three of their classical sauces of bechamel sauce, veloute sauce and espagnole sauce.  I knew it was a french thing, but I kept hearing about "roux" when we were there, so now I know it is also a popular creole thing!  It's  used to thicken gumbos, etouffees (like the Crawfish Efouffee we had when we first arrived here) and stews. 

The Hurricane


This is a popular drink in Louisiana and we decided it's going to be our featured drink of our Super Bowl Party this year.  We made sure we stocked up on the mix while we were there.  There is a variation of the Hurricane drink called the Cat 5 or Category 5 Hurricane.   Bruce tried one.


It's even stronger than the Hurricane. It's half margarita mix and I really could not even drink it.  I'll stick to the Hurricane. 
King Cake



Another thing you see all around town are King Cakes.  These are cakes associated with Mardi Gras that are made with twisted bread similar to that used in brioche, topped with icing or sugar and colored with the traditional Mardi Gras colors of purple, green and gold.  The cake has a small trinket (often a small plastic baby, said to represent Baby Jesus) inside and the person who gets the piece of cake with the trinket has various privileges and obligations like being the one who hosts the next Mardi Gras party or who makes the next King Cake.

Po-boy 


This is popular sandwich in New Orleans made on French bread and usually fried seafood.  Other versions use hot or smoked sausage, ham and cheese, or hamburger.  The original was roast beef with gravy.  The story goes that in 1929, the streetcar drivers went on strike.  Two brothers, Bennie and Clovis Martin, who were former streetcar drivers had opened a restaurant earlier called Martin Brothers' Coffee Stand and Restaurant in the French Market in 1922.  They took up the strikers' cause and created an inexpensive sandwich of gravy and spare bits of roast beef on French bread they would serve the unemployed workers out of the rear of their restaurant.  When a worker came to get one, a cry would go up in the kitchen "here comes another poor boy!" and the name stuck, eventually becoming "po-boy".  I like that story.


Tabasco Sauce


I also did not know that Tabasco sauce was from Louisiana until I started seeing Tabasco being sold everywhere.  They even have shops that sell only Tabasco sauce and related items.  



Apparently, Tabasco sauce has been around since 1868 when a banker moved to Louisiana and began distributing his sauce to family and friends in cologne bottles from a New Orleans glassworks.  It was in these bottles that the sauce was first commercially distributed.  I always did like those little bottles of Tabasco sauce which I've thought are so unique and cute.  Originally, all Tabasco peppers were grown on Avery Island in Louisiana.  Now, there are various locations in Central and South America but a small crop is still grown there.  The peppers are handpicked and each worker carries a little red stick to determine the ripeness of the pepper.  Peppers are compared to the stick and if they do not match the red color of the stick they are not harvested.  The peppers are mashed and mixed with vinegar and salt, the salt also comes from Avery Island which has many salt mines.  I'm suddenly interested in putting Tabasco sauce on my food now.  


Bread Pudding



After all that Tabasco sauce, you must have something sweet like pralines or bread pudding.  We noticed bread pudding was on all the menus for dessert. This is a Southern dessert along with pecan pie. We had it a couple of times and it was very decadent.  There are a lot of versions, no fixed recipe but it's usually made with stale or leftover bread and some combination of milk, eggs, sugar, syrup, dried fruit, cinnamon, nutmeg, mace or vanilla.  It tastes like custard.  It often has a sweet sauce of some sort, such as a rum sauce, caramel sauce or whiskey sauce and served warm in squares.  You can't go wrong with this dessert.


With all this delicious food, our Super Bowl party is sure to be a success this year.   After eating our way through New Orleans, I think we have a pretty good idea how to make our party a true Southern experience.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had