Skip to main content

On the Road Again


I am on the road again for a fun weekend in Seattle to celebrate Lauren's birthday, visit with family and friends and take in a couple Mariner baseball games (first games to see without Ichiro…so sad.)  You can see from above that the drive is a long one from Boise to Seattle.  We've made the drive many times in the 14 years we've live in Idaho, I know this drive well.


After the first hour, I'm crossing the Snake River



Yeah!!  I'm in Oregon now. I've made progress.




But it's still more of the same for awhile unfortunately.




After about 30 minutes more I see civilization ahead and an oasis.  It's Farewell Bend State Park and campground on the Snake River.



We would stop here with our dog when we traveled.  It's a good place to let her run around and play in the water.   I've camped here twice actually.  The first time was in 1964 with my family when we took a car trip to Park City, Utah from Seattle to visit my Grandpa and my parents' friends and relatives.  They were from Park City and knew lots of people.  There were no trees at this campground then.  I just remember it was really windy and barren.   Then we camped here again in 1992 when we drove to Iowa from Seattle with our kids who were  5 years old and 3 years old.  That was a really fun car trip to and from Iowa.  Fun memories.



But I'm not stopping here now.   I'm on an 8 hour mission.  I see my first train.




Seeing trains was a big deal when we'd go on car trips with our kids.  "A train, a train!!"  I still sort of do it.  Then I pass the weird cement factory.

  
I always wondered why a cement factory was here in the middle of nowhere…


I hate this when this happens. Two trucks passing.  I have to slow down. You don't want any interruptions when you're on this mission.




I see my second train.  Can you tell I'm bored?



Two hours in now.  I'm approaching Baker City, Oregon but I'm not stopping here, either.  It's a cute, little, old historic town but I'm on a mission today.



Also, near here is the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center which we've been to a few times.  It's a great museum and you can actually see the original Oregon Trail.  



But I'm not stopping to see the wagon wheel grooves in the dirt.  I'm on a mission and I'm heading west.



I spot a familiar sight ahead. I must stop. It's been 2-1/2 hours now into my 8 hour trip.  I'm in La Grande, Oregon.


I am so happy.  Starbucks!



This will hold me over now until Prosser.  Perfect.




Then I hit the curves over the Blues.   You always have to be careful what you order at Starbucks in La Grande because things can be tricky to eat when you have all these curves to deal with.


I saw my third train.  Wow.  Lot's of trains today.




Oh no.  Road construction.  This happens every trip so the slow-down is just factored into the 8 hours.  Oregon has had road construction going on for 14 years.  I must slow down to 50 mph.  Not bad.



The Blues are beautiful mountains.  You can see why they call them "the Blues".


Now I'm at Pendleton where they have their big Round Up every year but I'm not stopping… keep going.


I'm finally at the half-way point.  Only 4 more hours to go.   


The halfway point is the Mighty Columbia.  (river, that is)


And now I'm finally in Washington state.  Getting closer.


Now I'm really getting excited.  My favorite part of the trip is coming up.  After I gas-up in Prosser, Washington, I enter the beautiful and lush Yakima Valley.


So much growing around here and wineries, too.  Just beautiful.


As I leave Yakima and get closer to Ellensburg, the sky welcomes me to Western Washington.  I think it's a sign.








Now the scenery is so gorgeous, I just feel happy to almost be in Seattle again.  The Cascade mountains…


As my dad use to say about the Pacific Northwest, "this is truly God's country."



As I enter into Seattle, the sunset is beautiful.  I love it here.  And now my mission is over.  I made it.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had