Skip to main content

Thanksgiving Turkey


I ordered my turkey for Thanksgiving and this year we are getting a fresh, local, organic, free-range turkey that I will pick up on Monday before Thanksgiving. We use to always get our turkey from "the turkey farm", as we called it. When we moved here in 1998, I saw an ad for fresh Thanksgiving turkeys from a place called Oreda Ranch. So I called them and they said they just need to know what pound turkey we wanted and they would set one aside. The first time we drove out there I couldn't believe there was any civilization out that far.





We were up in the foothills of the Rockies which boarders our area and we kept going and going and going. Where is this place?! We finally came to it and found that it was the original homestead of this family who raised chicken, turkeys, and various other livestock. They supply fresh, organic, free-range chicken eggs to the one and only Natural Food Coop in Boise.

They were very friendly people and I was envious of their variety of chickens and rather large chicken coop. We felt lucky to get on their mailing list and for the next 10 years, that's where we got our Thanksgiving turkey. We looked forward to driving out there the Saturday before Thanksgiving to pick up our turkey and our dogs also got a thrill out of it because we would let them out of the car and let them run ahead as we drove along. It was great exercise for them, as we were always struggling to get them enough exercise since they are sled dogs and always wanted to be running.



But a few years ago, we got the call that the owners would be retiring and it was their last year of selling Thanksgiving turkeys. So sad! But since our kids no longer live here and we only have one dog now who is too old to run like that, I guess it's O.K to move on from that tradition.

So, this year I ordered a fresh, organic, free-range turkey from my local organic food Brown Box delivery service Brown Box Organics who get the turkeys from a local farm. Now that the local food movement is so popular, there are closer places than the Oreda Ranch, fortunately for us. There will be seven of us for Thanksgiving this year so that gives me an excuse to get a big turkey!! (I'd get a big turkey anyway!) I love cooking all the food for Thanksgiving and having lots of leftovers.

My son has requested that I cook all the traditional American foods because he is leaving for Japan the Monday after Thanksgiving and will be eating Japanese food for the next 6 months. He loves Japanese food so that is not a problem but when I mentioned to him I found a recipe for Wasabi Bloody Marys (which I thought sounded pretty good!) he made it clear he wanted only the tried and true traditional home-cooked food and beverages! He goes to Japan each year for work and this time will be an especially long assignment of 6 months. His wife is Japanese so its a good time for them to visit her family. I always look for "special" recipes to accompany the usual traditional ones since the traditional ones get a little boring to me. Most of the stuff I make for Thanksgiving, I don't even need a recipe! Since I'm doing this blog, I will pay extra attention to what I'm doing so I can write it down…

So, if you want to get a fresh, organic, free-range turkey for your Thanksgiving dinner, check around in your local area because they are available with the popularity of the local food movement. They are a bit more expensive, expect to pay at least $3.00 per pound, although I did see that Costco has organic turkeys at our local Costco for $2.69 per pound. The USDA definition of "organic" means that the turkey will have had to eat only organic feed, were spared antibiotics and growth hormones, and were grown free-range. Turkeys that are allowed to roam and graze have more natural flavor and you can have a peace of mind that they lived they way fowl were meant to live a natural life. I refuse to support those who practice animal cruelty which is the majority of how our food is raised in this country.

Fresh Turkey

If the organic is just a little too pricey for you, I would suggest a fresh turkey which costs $1.00 per pound and up. You'll pay a bit more for the freshness and convenience of no thawing out like a frozen turkey. (No need to deal with the four-day defrosting in the refrigerator or cleaning out the refrigerator to make fridge space for it!) Pick it up at the store in the a.m. (yes, most stores are open Thanksgiving morning), season and put right in the oven! If you want to get exactly what you want, you can order it from the butcher and get your exact size and super fresh! Give the supermarket butcher at least two weeks' notice so that's about like right now!



Frozen Turkey

This is the most common and cheapest option in the supermarket, less than $1.00 per pound. You will need to plan ahead to thaw it out because it takes three to four days to defrost in the fridge which is the safest way to thaw before cooking. Plan for one day to thaw for every 5 pounds of meat. If the label says "basted", that means the turkey has been prebrined (treated with a salty solution to keep the meat moist) so not much labor involved for a tasty Thanksgiving turkey.

Preparing to Cook Your Turkey

If your turkey is frozen, there are three ways to defrost it; in the refrigerator, in cold water, or in the microwave.  Use the chart below to thaw your turkey in the refrigerator. 


In the Refrigerator (40 °F or below)
Allow approximately 24 hours for every 4 to 5 pounds
4 to 12 pounds1 to 3 days
12 to 16 pounds3 to 4 days
16 to 20 pounds4 to 5 days
20 to 24 pounds5 to 6 days


Keep the turkey in its original wrapper. Place it on a tray or in a pan to catch any juices that may leak. A thawed turkey can remain in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days. If necessary, a turkey that has been properly thawed in the refrigerator may be refrozen.

In Cold Water
Allow approximately 30 minutes per pound
4 to 12 pounds2 to 6 hours
12 to 16 pounds6 to 8 hours
16 to 20 pounds8 to 10 hours
20 to 24 pounds10 to 12 hours


Wrap your turkey securely, making sure the water is not able to leak through the wrapping. Submerge your wrapped turkey in cold tap water. Change the water every 30 minutes. Cook the turkey immediately after it is thawed. Do not refreeze.

In the Microwave Oven:

Check your owner's manual for the size turkey that will fit in your microwave oven, the minutes per pound and power level to use for thawing.
Remove all outside wrapping.
Place on a microwave-safe dish to catch any juices that may leak.
Cook your turkey immediately. Do not refreeze or refrigerate your turkey after thawing in the microwave oven.

REMINDER: Remove the giblets from the turkey cavities after thawing. Cook separately.


Roasting Your Turkey 

Timetables for Turkey Roasting
(325 °F oven temperature)

Use the timetables below to determine how long to cook your turkey. These times are approximate. Always use a food thermometer to check the internal temperature of your turkey and stuffing to an internal temperature of 165 degree F. 



Unstuffed
4 to 8 pounds (breast)1½ to 3¼ hours
8 to 12 pounds2¾ to 3 hours
12 to 14 pounds3 to 3¾ hours
14 to 18 pounds3¾ to 4¼ hours
18 to 20 pounds4¼ to 4½ hours
20 to 24 pounds4½ to 5 hours


Stuffed
4 to 6 pounds (breast)Not usually applicable
6 to 8 pounds (breast)2½ to 3½ hours
8 to 12 pounds3 to 3½ hours
12 to 14 pounds3½ to 4 hours
14 to 18 pounds4 to 4¼ hours
18 to 20 pounds4¼ to 4¾ hours
20 to 24 pounds4¾ to 5¼ hours


It is safe to cook a turkey from the frozen state. The cooking time will take at least 50 percent longer than recommended for a fully thawed turkey. Remember to remove the giblet packages during the cooking time. 


Optional Cooking Hints

Tuck wing tips under the shoulders of the bird for more even cooking.

Add ½ cup of water to the bottom of the pan.

If your roasting pan does not have a lid, you may place a tent of heavy-duty aluminum foil over the turkey for the first 1 to 1 ½ hours. This allows for maximum heat circulation, keeps the turkey moist, and reduces oven splatter. To prevent overbrowning, foil may also be placed over the turkey after it reaches the desired color.

If using an oven-proof food thermometer, place it in the turkey at the start of the cooking cycle. It will allow you to check the internal temperature of the turkey while it is cooking.
Place the thermometer in the thickest part of the inner thigh. Once the thigh has reached 165 °F, check the wing and the thickest part of the breast to ensure the turkey has reached a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 °F.

If using an oven cooking bag, follow the manufacturer's guidelines on the package.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friend lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, t...

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides ...

Top Pot Doughnuts

I just returned from another weekend in Seattle and for the first time, I actually went to a Top Pot Doughnut shop.  I've had their doughnuts before because they serve them at Starbuck's and I've seen their shops in Seattle when I visit because there is now one right across the street from our old house in Wedgwood.   Now, our daughter, lives in another old neighborhood of mine on Capitol Hill and right around the corner from her house is a Top Pot. There were not eateries like this in my old neighborhoods when I lived in Seattle.  And our daughter literally lives steps away from my old house on Capitol Hill where I lived when I was her age.  There are so many more luxuries and temptations lurking around the corner in Seattle neighborhoods more so than when I lived there but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.  Being that I'm one that mostly gives in to temptation, it's probably a good thing they didn't exist when I lived there. ...