Skip to main content

Old Fashioned Apple Pie


I have tried many different recipes for pie crust but now I've come up with the one I plan to keep for awhile.  It uses shortening and butter and this pie turns out perfect every time!  And apple pie is my favorite especially when they are apples that come straight from our tree!  I also use more in the filling than most recipes call for because I like the middle to be piled high with apples.  My pie pans are rather large and tend to make big pies.   So, if you want a big apple pie, here it is!


Makes 1 pie which usually serves 8 but I cut the pieces smaller because the pie is so dense so it will easily serve 10-12


Make crust for a double-crust pie


2-1/2 cups flour, plus extra for rolling
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
8 Tbsp. shortening, cut into 1/2-inch pieces and chilled
12 Tbsp. (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1/4 inch pieces and chilled
6-8 tablespoons ice water


1.  Process the flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor until combined.  

2.  Scatter the shortening over the top and process until the mixture has the texture of coarse sand, about 10 seconds.  


3.  Scatter the butter pieces over the top and using short pulses, process the mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs, about 10 pulses.  Transfer to a bowl.



4.  Sprinkle 6 tablespoons of the ice water over the mixture.  Stir dough with a fork until the dough sticks together.  If the dough does not come together, stir in the remaining water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it does.


5.  Divide dough into two even pieces and flatten each into a 4-inch disk.  Wrap the disks tightly  in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.  Let the chilled dough soften slightly at room temperature before rolling it out and fitting it into a pie plate.


Filling


6-8 cups tart apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
dash of salt
butter

Egg Wash

1 egg beaten with a fork
1 Tbsp. cream or milk


1.  Adjust oven rack to the lowest position, place a rimmed baking sheet on the rack, and heat the oven to 500 degrees.

2.  Combine sugar, flour, spices and dash of salt; mix with apples.


3.  Roll out the top crust and place in pie pan.  Spread the apples in the unbaked pie crust bottom, mounding them slightly higher in the middle.  Dot with butter.  


4.  Lay the top crust over the apples, seal and crimp the edges, and cut four vent holes in the top.  Brush the crust with an egg wash (1 egg beaten + 1 Tbsp. cream or milk)  and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar.



5.  Place the pie on the heated baking sheet and lower the oven temperature to 425 degrees.  Bake until the top crust is golden, about 25 minutes.  

6.  Rotate the baking sheet, reduce the oven temperature again to 375 degrees, and continue to bake until the juices are bubbling and the crust is a deep golden brown, 30-35 minutes longer.  


7.  Transfer the pie to a wire rack and cool to room temperature before serving.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had