Skip to main content

The Farm at South Mountain

It took me a week to recover but a week ago I was soaking up the rays, wining, dining and shopping in sunny Arizona with husband, Bruce and daughter, Lauren. (My son, Nick, has gone back to Japan for work)  I had 5 days off work so we headed south for some fun and relaxation, a perfect Mother's Day weekend.  Whenever I travel, the thought of looking for a "food experience" is always a mission in the back of my mind and this trip was no different.  And boy, did we find one. The restaurant is called The Farm at South Mountain which was actually less than a mile down the road from where we were staying.  We'd only been at the resort less than a day before we started hearing everyone recommending we go there so that's exactly where we headed for our first dinner, which was Saturday evening before Mother's Day.







This restaurant is on 12 acres with three separate buildings for each meal.  The breakfast restaurant is called the Morning Glory Cafe, the lunch restaurant is called the Farm House and we went for dinner so our restaurant was called Quiessence.  The acreage grows all their own herbs and greens used in the restaurants and the owner, A. Wayne Smith, has preserved the wondrous sense of rural tranquility and vision of sustainability.  Gourmet Magazine describes this dining experience as "a spiritual experience for those who journey to this 12-acre organic oasis".   And we definitely felt it.




We ordered "The Farmer's Feast" which was a 5 course offering of the chef's best items and ingredients for the day .  Lauren says this is how you eat in Italy in many restaurants, you don't know what you're getting because they serve what is good on that particular day. Makes sense.  We decided to trust the chef.  We started out with "Antipasti" which was a selection of cured meats, artisan cheeses, and a pork pate spread.  The bread sticks were delicious, too, so soft and yeasty!  I even liked the goat cheese which is rare for me!  But the goat-ness was so subtle and it was quite tasty!  

Second course included 3 different salads:

Okui Strawberry Salad and Purple Artichoke Salad with wild greens, toasted walnuts, shaved red onions, and crumbled Fossil Creek Havarti cheese



Grilled Baby Shrimp Salad with grilled elephant garlic scapes, shaved funnel, and fresh citrus


Shaved Carrot and Fava Bean Salad with mixed greens, pancetta bits, lemon thyme, full moon cheese, and creamy buttermilk dill dressing.


The third course was the pasta and even though these don't look like large portions, the pasta course really did us in!  Lauren felt like she was in Italy again.  She LOVES gnocchi and had a hard time putting her fork down during this course.  Both pastas were very rich but delicious.


Rainbow Valley Farmer's Cheese Gnocchi with savory cabbage, housemade mortadella, and fresh whey


Hand Cut Cappalini with purple asparagus, green garlic, winter savory, and duck egg sauce

Lauren had to remove her belt after this course and had no desire to eat anymore.  But she couldn't resist venison since she'd never had it before.  We received 3 entrees:

Grilled Venison with braised greens, fiddlehead ferns, morel mushrooms, blackberries, and wild ramp demi glace


Thyme Scented Pork Loin with yellow stuben beans, grilled broccoli, and warm tomato vinaigrette


Pan Seared Halibut with cauliflower puree, purple Peruvian potatoes, mushrooms, and tomato nage


We were bursting at the seams at this point.   But dessert was still coming!

Bread Pudding and Mulberry Panna cotta, how can one refuse…















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had