Skip to main content

Bakery Nouveau


We've discovered our favorite neighborhood eatery this past week during our second phase of moving, Bakery Nouveau.  


There is a lot of competition for bakeries in this town but I'd heard of Bakery Nouveau from multiple sources so we thought we better check it out.


They are rated #1 in the city and we happen to be lucky enough to have one of the two shops in Seattle in our neighborhood.


The owners are William and Heather Leaman with 20 years experience in pastry, bread and chocolate. Need I say more?  William was the captain of the 2005 Bread Bakers Guild Team USA, where he led his team to victory at the Coupe du Monde de Boulangerie (World Cup of Baking).




Our taste buds say they are champions, too.


We've actually sampled a lot for such a short time here because we bought a selection of their cakes for Nick's birthday last night

  
after a fun birthday dinner down on Alki Beach at Duke's, along with one of Nick's childhood friends - a typical West Seattle evening.



Nick loves Duke's seafood chowders.



We could not decide on a cake, so when all else fails (in trying to make a decision) then buy a little of everything.


We were so blown away by all the amazing, decadent choices we forgot to give Nick his presents! Seriously!  It was THAT good!



So, today we had to go back and look at this place a little closer.  Bruce and Nick had errands to do so they rode their bikes and I walked.  It is exactly 33 minutes to walk there and exactly 10,000 steps round trip from our house.  I think I can get my steps in everyday if I make this my routine...


I got there before Nick and Bruce so had time to browse around.  They have French macarons.


They are supposedly the best outside of Paris.  I purchased a few to sample:  chocolate mint, strawberry, banana caramel (2), salted caramel and a passion fruit.


If you are not picky about flavors, you can purchase some pre-packaged macarons at the counter. So cute.


We all got lunch today.  Their sandwiches are outstanding, to say the least.


Nick got the "Junction Croissant" which is like eating eggs benedict in a sandwich.  It has eggs, ham, bacon and white cheddar cheese.  Unbelievable.


Bruce got a "California Club" sandwich.  


Chicken, bacon, smoked gouda, avocado, mixed greens and a mixture of mustard and mayonnaise.  A perfect combination.


And I got the "Salame Trio" which was a combination of 3 types of salami, arugula, tomato, mustard/mayo and provolone cheese.  The bread, by the way, was also delicious. I can't believe how fast I ate it.




No desserts for us on this day after last night's pastry feast but I still couldn't resist taking photos of it all.














I was impressed at how quickly the staff served everyone.  There was a line but it moved very fast.  I still could not make up my mind fast enough.  This is a place where you would prefer a slow line so you can take it all in...it's quite overwhelming.



We also bought some of their signature "Twice Baked Croissants" last night with our pastries so we could sample some at breakfast this morning. They have two flavors, almond 



and chocolate.




I know why these are known all over the city of Seattle.  OMG!  Here is the description from their website:  

Our classic chocolate croissant is soaked in simple syrup and filled with delicious almond cream. It is topped with sliced almonds and additional almond cream and a bar of decadent chocolate.


Bakery Nouveau knows their chocolate and knows their croissants.  The chocolate is not over-powering or even that sweet.  Their croissants have not a trace of greasiness.  It is just perfect.  I kid you not. Add this one to the top of our list.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had