Skip to main content

Chili




Tonight we had chili for dinner because of the frigid temperatures we've been having.  It has not been above freezing for about two weeks and this morning it was -2 degrees which is unheard of around here.  Bruce went skiing with a couple of buddies at our local ski area which is less than an hour away.



It was beautiful weather up there, nearly 40 degrees.  We are in an "inversion" right now where the cold air is trapped under low pressure keeping it cold and frigid.



But if you go up in elevation and above the valley we live in, it gets a lot warmer and nice!  So, that's what Bruce decided to do today.  I told him I would make chili and corn bread for dinner.

I don't really have a recipe for chili, I just make it with whatever I have in the kitchen.  This batch turned out really good so I'm going to post it.  I put kale in it which worked great.  Another way to include kale in my diet without really tasting it...  (I just haven't acquired a taste for it even though I know how nutritious it is)


Serves 4


1 onion, chopped

oil
1 bunch of kale, leaves torn into small pieces
1 red or green bell pepper, chopped - today I had a red pepper
1 pound of ground turkey
salt
pepper
2 - 15 oz. cans of beans of your choice - today I used 1 can of black beans and 1 can of pinto beans
1 - 6 oz. can of tomato paste
2 - 15 oz. cans of diced tomatoes
chili powder
ground cumin

1.  Saute onions in a little oil in a large pan.  



2.  Add the kale and stir until wilted.  


3.  Add chopped pepper and continue to saute.


4.  Add the ground turkey.  Add salt and pepper to taste.



5.  Add beans, tomato paste and diced tomatoes.  Add 3 cans of water using the tomato paste can and stir to dissolve. 



6.  Add chili powder and ground cumin to taste.


This is a very easy recipe to whip up on a cold winter day.  It pairs perfectly with some cornbread and some butternut squash which I also had on hand today.  It will really hit the spot after a full day of skiing.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had