Skip to main content

Summer Salmon Barbecue


This weekend we had a big summer barbecue featuring our favorite of all foods…King Salmon. Bruce and some work associates like to go fishing to the outpost in beautiful British Columbia located on the Queen Charlotte Islands.  This year Bruce caught the biggest salmon, a 42-pound Chinook salmon, the largest he has ever caught.  Usually, when anybody catches a salmon that large, the guides will make them throw it back to keep the genetic pool circulating in the ocean. But this poor salmon was injured too badly after reeling him in so Bruce had to keep him...


Soon, it looked like this…


 and then it looked like this


We prepare salmon in a rather simple way.  Wrap in foil.  Slice onion and place on top.  Cook in the foil on a hot barbecue grill.   With a thermometer, immediately remove the salmon from the heat when the internal temperature reaches 110 degrees and let sit for 10 minutes wrapped in the foil.  (It will still continue cooking after removed from heat).  Your salmon will not be dried out if you cook it this way and it turns out perfect.  You'll be sure to get your omega-3 fatty acids on a regular basis because you'll love eating fish as much as we do!



Bruce had the honors of serving the salmon as the feast began.


We invited a few friends to share in the salmon feast.

  
You better like fish if you come to this party and I think everyone did!


I let Bruce prepare the salmon and I was in charge of everything else!  First of all, I made my daiquiri recipe in jars - I made strawberry and pina coladas.



It was a hot day and they started disappearing fast! (But we didn't run out, thank goodness! I made 20 daiquiris in jars and filled two tubs of ice to put them in). Then I put a tray of straws, strawberries and pineapple to serve with the drinks. 


I also had Arnold Palmer available in a couple pitchers since Bruce had some of his golf friends at the party and we love Arnold Palmer.



Some of our guests brought food like these homegrown fingerling potatoes picked the same day.  Delicious!  Thank-you Travis and Countney!



The salads started lining up.

 

I made my favorite salad Couscous and Black Bean Salad and a new recipe of Cheddar Jalapeno and Chive Biscuits which were a HUGE hit and went perfect with the salmon.



I also made my Asian Pasta Salad which is a family favorite.



Some guests also brought dessert, we put out some ice cream and started making coffee drinks and the eating & drinking feast continued even after we were all filled up on salmon.  And the chicken picked up the crumbs.



This is what summer is all about.  Good weather, good food, good friends, good times.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had