Skip to main content

Easy Street Records and Cafe



Happy Record Store Day! Did you know there was such a thing? Neither did I, until this week. One of our local cafe/coffee shop/record stores is celebrating Record Store Day today so Bruce and I had to walk up there and check it out.


We've eaten breakfast here a couple of times and we always recommend it to our visitors, as well. The food is so-so, nothing to write home about, but to tell you the true, it's not really about the food here at all. This place is so much more...and it finally hit us this week. It's about Rock 'n Roll! They are big supporters of local music scene here in Seattle and there is a lot of it. We didn't realize how big of supporters they are until we saw this video from Easy Street Records last year on Record Store Day.



They hosted a concert by a local group called the Sonics who were popular in the 60's in Seattle.  We knew they must have been popular awhile ago because of their ages...but we thought they were still pretty good!  If you watch this video long enough, around 22 minutes into it, a surprise guest singer shows up, Eddie Vedder, and sings with the band. It's so awesome!  We loved it.  Apparently, they also hosted Pearl Jam, too.


We have a whole new appreciation for Easy Street now.  The cafe is jammed packed full of music memorabilia which is attached to the record store.   




We found the Sonics as we browsed around




and a whole section attributed to David Bowie, of course. 



I mainly liked the cafe because their dishes are cleverly named after bands and musicians such has the Hank Williams Western Omelet, Hall and Oats (oatmeal), Dolly Parton Stack (pancakes), Grateful Granola, Culture Club (sandwich), Green Day (salad), Let it BLT...you get the jist, right?  Very entertaining, along with all the stuff on the walls.  After experiencing Record Store Day, I want to get back into the Seattle music scene.  It's been a long time.  A local TV show called Evening Magazine recently had a segment on the 25 Greatest Songs of the Northwest.  We were very intrigued watching it.  Here are the results:

#25  Merrilee Rush and the Turnabouts “Angel of the Morning” (1968)  
#24 Mother Love Bone, “Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns” (1988) 
#23 The Fleetwoods, “Come Softly to Me” (1959) 
#22 Alice in Chains, “Would?” (1992) 
#21 The Wailers, “Out of our Tree” (1965) 
#20 Screaming Trees, “Nearly Lost You” (1992) 
#19 Elliott Smith, “Miss Misery” (1997)  
#18 Sleater-Kinney, “Jumpers” (2005) 
#17 Paul Revere and the Raiders, “Just Like Me” (1965) 
#16 Death Cab for Cutie, “I Will Follow You into the Dark” (2006) 
#15 Nirvana, “Love Buzz” (1988) 
#14 Mudhoney, “Touch Me I’m Sick” (1988) 
#13 Presidents of the United States of America, “Lump” (1995) 
#12 The Ventures, “Walk Don’t Run” (1960) 
#11 Modest Mouse, “Float On” (2004) 
#10 Soundgarden, “Rusty Cage” (1992) 
#9 Sir Mix-a-Lot, “Baby Got Back” (1992) 
#8 Pearl Jam, “Alive” (1991) 
#7 The Jimi Hendrix Experience, “The Wind Cries Mary” (1967) 
#6 Heart, “Barracuda” (1977) 
#5 The Sonics, “Have Love Will Travel” (1965) 
#4 Macklemore and Ryan Lewis featuring Mary Lambert, “Same Love” 2012 
#3 The Kingsman, “Louie, Louie” (1963) 
#2 The Jimi Hendrix Experience, “Purple Haze” (1967) 
#1 Nirvana, “Smells Like Team Spirit” (1991) 
I remember going to Pier 70 and seeing Merrilee Rush and the Turnabouts in '70s.  Those same years, I was also going to the Aquarius to see Heart multiple times.  When they made their first album, we were so thrilled and rushed out to buy it immediately.  All my favorite songs were on it.  I know Lauren has her favorite local bands, too, like Death Cab for Cutie, Modest Mouse and, of course, Macklemore.  Lauren even saw Macklemore at Dick's on Broadway one night (with his entourage, of course) I totally understand why young people love living in Seattle so much.  The music scene has always been so awesome.  Heck, Eddie Vedder just shows up to sing a song with the Sonics at our local neighborhood cafe for Record Store Day last year.  Yep, I think I need to get back into the local music scene around here again. Happy Record Store Day.
  







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had