Skip to main content

Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies


I've always loved the banana/chocolate combination.  Remember my chocolate swirl banana bread?  It's one of my favorites.  Now I have a cookie version!  I made these last night while Bruce was catching up on the Masters Golf Tournament that he recorded.  This is Masters weekend, you know.


Since we live in Seattle now, we're getting together at Barbara and Jim's house instead of them driving to Boise and spending 4 days watching it at our house for our usual Master's Weekend.  Living near each other is a lot easier.  Since we all four went to the Master's together in 2010, we feel the need to be together on this special weekend.  Now, we live only 20 minutes away.  So nice.  We can each stay in the comforts of our own home so I have lots of extra time this Master's weekend.  I had one over-ripe banana left in the fruit bowl, which is often the case.  After moving, I decided I'm not freezing bananas anymore because they accumulate too quickly in the freezer.   I must have thrown away 10 pounds of frozen bananas from our freezer when we moved!  Never again.  When I saw this recipe on Two Peas and Their Pod blog that used only one banana, I decided this is what I'll do with that one banana that always turns brown from nobody eating it.  Problem solved of the frozen-bananas-in-the-freezer syndrome.  

I was pleasantly surprised that these cookies were perfect.  The banana flavor is actually very subtle.  They are soft and chewy and the oatmeal gives them a hardy texture, like you're eating something healthy.  I actually had a couple for breakfast today :)  I could see these cookies being like a breakfast bar.  I definitely want to make these again and again and again... 


Makes 2-1/2 dozen

4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 large banana, mashed
1-1/4 cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1.  In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.  Set aside.



2.  In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugars and beat together.



3.  Add in vanilla extract and egg.  Beat well.



4.  Add the banana. 


5.  Slowly add in flour mixture until just combined.


6.  Stir in oats and chocolate chips.



7.  Drop cookie dough by heaping tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto baking sheets that have been lined with parchment paper.  


8.  Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.  

9.  Remove cookies from pans, cool completely on wire racks.  





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had