Skip to main content

Wild Mushroom Fettuccine



I don't have a lot of time to cook these days because our house is for sale and we need to be prepared to leave when potential buyers come to look.  But this is a recipe I really want to post because it was made with fresh picked, dried morel mushrooms that our friends, Barry and Alda, gave us after their trek up to the mountains.  


Barry and Alda go picking every year and we have heard many stories about their mushroom outings. They go to the same spot every year which is about an hour away from where we live. Some years are better than others for mushrooms and this year they said there was an abundance of mushrooms.


This year they said the mushrooms were large, too, so there bags were filling up fast.




One of their stories I like is when Alda was searching so intensely for mushrooms that she didn't even see a fawn hiding in the brush. 


She was focusing so much on mushrooms that she didn't even see the fawn until Barry came over and yelled, " don't step on the fawn!"  And then Alda finally saw it.  I'm sure the fawn was scared and doing what instinct has taught it to do and not move a muscle.


Barry and Alda had their hunting dogs with them so they quickly moved to another area before the dogs discovered the fawn and soon found more mushrooms.


I've made rissoto with their mushrooms before (b.b.- before blog) so this time I wanted to make something different.  Barry and Alda will usually saute the mushrooms and eat them with steak or whatever dish they're eating so I always try to do a different recipe and this one turned out really well.

Before beginning the recipe, you need to reconstitute the dried mushrooms.  I always keep a package of dried mushrooms on hand to use in recipes because they add so much flavor and extra fiber to recipes but this time I had Alda and Barry's dried morels. Add enough room temperature water to the mushrooms to cover them.



Let them soak for 1/2 hour and then drain in a strainer.  Rinse with water to remove any remaining grit from the mushrooms and then they are ready to use in your cooking.

Serves 4

12 ounces fettuccine
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 red onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, diced
8 ounces wild mushrooms
2 sprigs of tarragon, finely chopped
2 bunches of parsley, finely chopped
1/2 cup of broth
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup parmesan cheese



1.  Bring a large pot of water to a boil with a pinch of salt.   Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook for about 10 minutes, until al dente.  Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water.

2.  Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.  Add the onion and season with salt and pepper.  Cook for about 5 minutes, until softened.


3.  Add garlic and mushrooms and season with salt and pepper.  Cook for about 5 minutes.



4.  Add the tarragon, parsley,  broth, lemon juice and 1/2 cup of pasta water to the pan with the mushrooms.  Cook for about 5-10 minutes, until slightly reduced.

5.  Add the sour cream.  Stir to combine and cook for 3 minutes.

6.  Drain the pasta and add it to the pan with the sauce.  Toss to combine.



7.  Serve the fettuccine with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had