Skip to main content

Up Close and Personal with...


Before the month of March comes to a close, I want to dedicate a post to Sophia Elie, a dietetic intern who did a portion of her clinical rotation at our hospital.  On her last day, I did this interview and she agreed to be a guest on my blog.  So, here is my first interview on Sylvia's Scenario in honor of National Nutrition Month.





Sophia was born and raised in San Diego, California and she had more experience than most interns we've gotten in the past which made my job a lot easier!  She worked as a physical therapist assistant so she was very comfortable around patients and easily established rapport with the ones in our hospital.  She currently has her own consulting business where she provides individual nutrition counseling for a fee, custom meal planning, and medical nutrition therapy. Needless to say, there was very little we had to teach her when it came to providing nutrition education to patients.  She worked a year in the Washington D.C. area for a hospitality company in corporate nutrition after completing her B.S. in Food and Dietetics at Bastyr University in Seattle.  Bastyr is an internationally known science-based natural medicine university.  We had never had an intern who had a naturopathic nutrition backyard, something I could relate to since I actually took my kids to Bastyr Natural Health Clinic for healthcare when we lived in Seattle. I also had contacts at Bastyr when I had my private practice in Seattle, as a go-to resource since they are experts in alternative medicine that so many consumers would ask me about.  Sophia was very active on compass when she was there and was President of the Carnivore Club.  One goal that Sophia had was to get the cafeteria to begin serving meat. Bastyr had been a vegetarian campus for 30 years but Sophia accomplished her goal and they now serve meat in their cafeteria.  Sophia is not vegetarian, as you might guess, but she does follow a gluten free diet and has been participating in Cross Fit since last July including national open competitions. Other activities she enjoys are cooking, outdoor activities, and dancing.  She was on her high school's dance team and also a member of a Latin social dance group. 

This is probably not the last you will hear about Sophia since her business is going strong.  It is called Wisdom's Kitchen (Sophia means wisdom in Greek) and you can contact her at sophia.eli@bastyr.edu.  The future of my profession is in good hands.  It was a pleasure to be Sophia's preceptor.


You Go Girl!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had