Skip to main content

Mother's Day - Expressing Motherhood



Now that my kids are grown and out-of-the-house, I feel safe to post this video of my Expressing Motherhood.  This really sums it up for me.  It was never a dull moment!  You love being a mom but you do go a little crazy at times! I remember our messy minivan - especially after going to a drive-in theater with all our snacks to eat in the car.  We saw Babe  and Nick and Lauren loved wearing their pajamas, eating junk food, watching a movie from the car while staying up late. The movie didn't start until dark which was after 10:00 pm so we didn't get home until after midnight! What a thrill!  It was quite the trip for us since we lived about an hour away from where the nearest drive-in was in Auburn. Drive-ins don't exist that much so I was so happy to be able to give Nick and Lauren that experience, even if it did mean a seriously messy car afterwards.  I was a mom who always wanted to give my kids as many life experiences that I could.  That kind of philosophy will always keep your life interesting and never a dull moment and I'm glad I did.  For all of you going through the minivan phase of motherhood I have this to say - have the ride of your life!  A never a dull moment life will last until you drop them off at college. And then again, maybe not.  You will definitely have time to rest and more time to yourself but Nick and Lauren wanted to continue with the never a dull moment life in college.  Bruce and I continued going to Nick's baseball games and cheering him on in college



and again on his summer teams.  We heard all about his trips to Japan to see his new Japanese girlfriend. (Now his wife) Never-a-dull-moment.  Lauren helped start up the equestrian team at her college so it was always exciting going to her horse shows


and hearing about the team drama (I missed the show where she fell off her horse twice!) We got to hear about life in Italy when she took an art class there one summer, took Italian cooking class, and soaked up Italian culture.  Never a dull moment. I am a lucky mom - I won't deny it. My never-a-dull-moment kids have given me the best motherhood a mother could ask for.  I think about how lucky I am every Mother Day. I was also lucky to have a mom I could share so many happy moments with including happy times as a Grandma to Nick and Lauren.
  


She passed away in 2009 but I still think about her all the time and especially on this day - Mother's Day. She was a great mom to me and a wonderful Grandma to Nick and Lauren (and provided much needed help to me when I felt the urge to pull over in my messy minivan for a rest).



So, happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there and hang in there. I know it's never a dull moment but we wouldn't want things any other way.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had