Skip to main content

Meatloaf


I woke up this morning and turned on the Today Show to get updated on all the details after the big election day yesterday. As I watched, I saw that they were having as a guest on the show the author of one of my favorite cooking blogs, Ree Drummond - The Pioneer Woman. I actually record her cooking show and even Bruce likes watching it because of the interesting things they are always doing around the ranch. (Bruce mostly just cracks jokes about it the whole time.) In a way, her show reminds me of when we first moved here from the city and all our adventures with the animals - although we only have two acres, not a full ranch. We only had one horse, a slew of dairy goats (complete with goat milk), chickens, rabbits, a half dozen or so cats and two dogs. That's enough to keep one busy with teenagers coming and going. The Pioneer Woman is always running out to where everyone is on the ranch to take them their snack or lunch - a perfectly layed out spread. “Tastes good, honey”. That’s about the only thing “Marlboro Man” ever says. He’s not a man of words, he’s a cowboy for heaven’s sake. Now, Bruce will always come home from work and say “Smells good, honey” or “Looks good, honey” in the same Marlboro Man voice. (Bruce thinks Pioneer Woman is a little crazy and obsessed with her food from living in isolation too long on the ranch.)

After watching the Today Show segment, I knew I had to make my meatloaf today. It's quite a bit different from the Pioneer Woman's version. In fact, all my recipes are. Every time I watch her show, I ended up saying, "I can't make that" because she always puts so much cheese, bacon and other fat-laden ingredients in and on everything. It's a good thing they are always working off their meals with heavy labor around the ranch. Well, we aren't doing physical labor around our two acres burning off all our cheese, bacon and fat. And most people don't live like that, unfortunately, Miss Pioneer Woman. And her meatloaf recipe was not any different. It was wrapped in bacon with grated cheese added as one the ingredients, of coarse. I really do like Pioneer Woman but her recipes are just too high in fat and calories for us to eat. Take a look at how different my meatloaf recipe is from the Pioneer Woman's:

Serves 8

1 lb. each of ground beef, ground pork and ground lamb
1 large chopped onion
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup oatmeal
2 eggs
3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 cup tomato sauce
1 Tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. marjoram
2 tsp. salt & pepper

Topping:

1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 molasses

Instead of white bread soaked in milk, I use wheat germ and oatmeal as my filler. No cheese. My topping is very simple of just ketchup and molasses and it tastes perfect on meatloaf. In fact, my meatloaf recipe is the same recipe for the stuffing in my recipe for stuffed bell pepper and tomatoes so you may have already seen it. I've made my stuffed peppers already this year - I must have these every fall for a dinner at least once.



Back to the meatloaf…

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, combine the 3 kinds of meat thoroughly.



2. Add the onion, wheat germ and oatmeal to the meat mixture and mix thoroughly.




3. Add the eggs and Worcestershire sauce to meat mixture and combine.




4. Add the rest of the ingredients, mixture together and pat into two loaf pans.

5. Mix together the ketchup and molasses for the topping.




6. Pour over the top of the shaped meatloaves.




7. Bake in oven for 1-1/2 hours. (Must not be pink in the middle)

We always have baked potatoes with meatloaf so you can put those in the oven at the same time and cook along with the meatloaf. Again, a very different side dish than the Pioneer Woman's Creamy Cheese and Bacon Grits she served with her meatloaf wrapped in bacon.

  

The perfect fall dinner - meatloaf, baked potato and broccoli with a little grated cheese on top with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt on the potato. You must have leftovers for those delicious meatloaf sandwiches.

I love fall.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had