Skip to main content

Canned Pears


We finally canned all our pears so now we have ten quarts to enjoy this winter if we can wait that long.  We've already eaten a couple quarts of our plums so I hope we still have some by winter. Our last night of canning is always a big relief knowing that we are done for another year.  The first batch of jam or jelly is always exciting, then everything begins to ripen at once and it gets a little stressful to preserve everything before it spoils and when the final canning is over, it's always such a relief.  So, we are done for another year!  Yeah!!! This recipe does not qualify for October Unprocessed, that's for sure!  These pears are totally processed and use lots of sugar, too.  But I have a philosophy about this.  If you eat "junk" food or in this case "processed" food, it's O.K. as long as it's homemade and these canned pears are definitely homemade. I mentioned in a previous post that I like many vegan recipes, but I'm not vegan.  I like October Unprocessed but I don't completely avoid processed foods.  I guess you could call me a moderate.  My diet is always one of variety and moderation.


We made one last trip out to the orchard last weekend to find any remaining pears 


and only found one lonely pear.  Pear season is officially over.


Makes 10 quarts

1 bucket of pears or 10 pounds

(pears are picked off the tree while they are unripe - they don't ripen well on the trees, so unlike peaches, pears WILL ripen after picked.)
6 cups of water
3 cups of sugar

1.  Make syrup:


Heat water and add sugar slowly, stirring constantly to dissolve.  Bring to a gentle boil.  Keep syrup hot (but not boiling) until jars are ready to fill with the pears.


2.  Prepare pears by washing them well, core and slice.  It is not necessary to peel them.  I like to keep the skins on.  To keep the pears from turning brown, sprinkle with 1/4 cup lemon juice when you get a bowlful.  Then stir the pears to make sure all the surfaces have been coated.



3.  Hot pack works best for pears.  Put the cut pears into the hot syrup solution for 5 minutes.


4.  Fill the jars with the sliced pears from the hot syrup. 


5.  Pack the pears into sterilized jars and cover with boiling sugar syrup leaving 1/2 inch head space. 


6.  Run a table knife gently between the pears and jar to release trapped air bubbles.  


7.  Add more sugar syrup, if needed, up to 1/2 inch from top of jar.  Pears should be covered completely with syrup.

8.  Wipe rim and screw threads with a clean, damp cloth.  Add sterilized lid and screw band, tighten firmly and evenly.


9.  Put the sealed jars in the canner of boiling water and keep them covered with at least 1 inch of water.  Boil them for 30 minutes.



10.  Lift the jars out of the water and let them cool without touching or bumping them in a draft-free place (usually takes overnight).  You can then remove the rings if you like. Once the jars are cool, you can check that they are sealed verifying that the lid has been sucked down. Just press in the center, gently, with your finger.  If it pops up and down (often making a popping sound), it is not sealed.  If you put the jar in the refrigerator right away, you can still use it.  Some people replace the lid and reprocess the jar, then that's a bit iffy. If you heat the contents back up, re-jar them (with a new lid) and the full time in the canner, it's usually ok. 

A year ago…











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had