Skip to main content

Bringing the Ocean With Her


This is an article from the New York Times about my cousin, Marie DiManno, (known to us as Butchie growing up)  who has lived in New York since she got married in 1973.  Her new apartment was featured in the Home section of the Times on August 22nd and I thought I'd share it with you. Her husband died in 2004 and she since sold their home on Breezy Point and now lives in New York where she has been director for years of the gift shop at the American Folk Art Museum in Manhattan.  It's a great article about her and the photos are beautiful of her home.  I'd like to think I have some of the same genes for home decor.  Wishful thinking... 




WHEN Marie DiManno got married in 1973, her new husband, Jerry DiManno, told her, “You have to love the beach.”
Multimedia

Fortunately she did. Because for the next three decades, Ms. DiManno, who is now the director of the shop at the American Folk Art Museum in Manhattan, and Mr. DiManno, a lawyer, lived in a house in Breezy Point, on the western end of the Rockaway Peninsula in Queens, just 30 feet from the ocean.
From March through November, Mr. DiManno swam twice a day, morning and night, and in the evenings Ms. DiManno swam with him. She also began collecting nautically themed folk art. Over time, she amassed some 40 vintage sand pails, 75 pieces of pottery and dishware and 60 glass floats, among other things.
“Jerry had such a love of the sea,” she said. “And I had such a love of folk art.”
In 2004 her husband died, and six years later she left the beach, buying a two-bedroom co-op on the Upper West Side for $925,000.
“I wanted an urban prewar home,” Ms. DiManno said. “I did not want a beach house.”
Still, she hoped to bring her entire nautical collection with her, along with most of the furniture from the Breezy Point house.
Dan Owens, her designer, who worked with Nancy Cromar, an architect, assured her, “You can take it with you, but it will look very different.”
At the beach, the nautical art was the focal point. Everywhere you turned, you were reminded of the ocean: wooden silhouettes of children in swimsuits were the centerpiece of the dining table; dozens of sand pails lined the walls.
In the new apartment, the art is still present, but it is no longer front and center. Instead, the designers opened up the tiny rooms, installing interior windows that create sightlines from one room to another, so the light and the expansive space are what you notice first.
They also reupholstered most of the furniture, adding a few new pieces in the colors Ms. DiManno loves: coral, aqua and chartreuse.
In the living room, there is an eye-catching eight-foot-long wooden piece from the 1930s in the shape of a female swimmer (once the universal sign that a motel had a pool) hanging above the sofa. And the shelves on either side hold a selection of sand pails. But the strongest suggestion of the sea is the color on the walls: an almost imperceptible blue called Sea Foam, by Benjamin Moore.
In the kitchen, the designers created a breakfast nook with coral-colored banquettes. On the windowsill is a slender wooden tray of glass floats, in colors ranging from turquoise to amethyst. A Popeye-shaped hot-water bottle hangs on the wall nearby.
Ms. DiManno likes to sit there and drink her morning coffee, gazing through the hallway to the living room, where there is so much light that a philodendron she bought the year she was married is thriving nearly four decades later.
“It had three leaves in Breezy Point,” she said. Now there are at least 16.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had