Skip to main content

Idaho Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics State Meeting


I just returned tonight from our state's dietetic meeting in beautiful Sun Valley, Idaho - couldn't have been a better place to have it.  Just beautiful.


The town was very quiet because ski season is over and summer hasn't started yet.  It was very different when we were there in February for a little ski trip with Lauren and her boyfriend, Kevin, who came to Idaho for the first time.




Since Kevin hadn't been to Sun Valley, we had to take him skiing.  For our state meeting,  all the dietitians stayed at the Sun Valley Lodge, a historical place with all kinds of photos posted of the famous people who have visited.  It was built in 1936 and is just gorgeous inside and out.  The rooms are rather lovely, too, I must say.  (white robes, slippers, walk-in closets! Nice!)


It looked very different than when we were there in February.  The snow sculpture isn't there anymore...







It was a little warmer this visit. It did rain a little and this morning we woke up to snow falling!  It was so beautiful.  The snow did not stick so driving home for the 3 hour drive was not a problem.


The meeting this year had some excellent speakers who are experts in their fields such as Nancy Clark, MS, RD who has been the sport nutrition expert for decades and has written many books on the subject.  I remember going to one of her workshops in the 90's.  I realized after hearing her speak again, that I still use what I learned back then…describing to clients about fueling their body with food.  And I picked up another tip from her this time, to approach clients who are resistant to change their eating habits by saying, "Let's just experiment a little and try this and see what happens."  I like that non-threatening, non-authoritarian way of wording it.


Another speaker, Pam Charney, PhD, RD, from the University of Washington, talked about the assessment part of the Nutrition Care Process which our facility implemented a couple of years ago.  We are still learning  aspects of this and she is definitely an expert on it.  When talking to her on the side, she knew dietitians I knew in Seattle from so many years ago.  It was like going back in time since I've lived in Idaho for 13 years now.  I mentioned to her how I remembered going to workshops in the early 90's to learn about the Nutrition Care Process and she immediately knew the RD who taught it, Karen Lacey.  I didn't remember that at all.  She was a very fun person to talk with and a wealth of information.


Another favorite was listening to Evelyn Tribole, MS, RD,  talk about Intuitive Eating.  Her book, by the same title, is now out, it's third edition.  Evelyn loves to tell stories about her patients, sort of like case studies, that are rather fascinating.   She is really a eating pschologist, to sum up what she does.  I can't wait to read her third edition of Intuitive Eating.


I also loved Amy Walters, a psychologist, who talked about behavior change with patients with chronic disease.  I picked up a lot of tips from her talk, too.  She brought up the use of Motivational Interviewing a lot in her talk which is how I communicate to my patients so I am always looking for new methods and approaches to this.


The President-Elect of our national professional organization, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Ethan Bergman PhD, RD, was there and updated us all on the latest activities going on in our association;  


Ethan Bergman, Pam Charney, and me


and a couple of MDs were there who spoke about allergies and another on appropriate use of nutrition support, parenteral nutrition vs. enteral nutrition.


Those were just a few of the topics covered and all were excellent and it was a very worthwhile conference.  I really got a lot out of it this year.


It was sad when it was time to drive home, as beautiful as the drive may be.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had