Skip to main content

Hernon Holiday Green Gelatin Salad


Every family has it's traditional recipes passed down from generations. Usually it's the green bean casserole or in my husband's family, it was 'Corn Willy', a creamed corn dish. In my family, it is the Hernon Green Gelatin Salad. It MUST be included in the Thanksgiving dinner menu or else be prepared for a huge riot. I believe this recipe actually came from my Aunt Anna Belle, married to my Uncle Jack who was my dad's brother. They were three brothers and one sister who all grew up in a small mining town called Park City, Utah. Yes, that Park City, Utah. It wasn't always a big ski resort, you know. The three brothers all married local gals from town, including my mom, who all knew each other. When I was growing up, we lived in Orange County, California for seven years and my Uncle Jack and family lived close by. Our families got together for every Thanksgiving, New Year's Day and 4th of July. The men would watch football in the living room while the women prepared food and got caught up on all the family news. My Aunt Anna Belle was an excellent cook. In the summer, our get-together's would be barbecues with watermelon spitting contests, backyard baseball games and the like. They were my favorite relatives in those days. The meals for those gatherings were the best you could imagine. Everything was utterly delicious! After my family left California to move to Seattle, my mom continued to make this gelatin salad she got from Anna Belle and the tradition continued. I'm not a big gelatin salad fan so I never really make this recipe except for Thanksgiving. In fact, usually somebody else will bring it so I still don't have to make it. But I do make it for memory's sake and I do admit, it is pretty tasty. You'll want to keep this one.

1 - 3 oz. pkg. lemon jello ( or gelatin dessert, not pudding or pie filling and definitely not sugar-free)
1 - 3 oz. pkg. lime jello (or gelatin dessert) 
1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk like Eagle Brand
1 cup mayonnaise
1 pint cottage cheese
1 8-oz. can crushed pineapple & juice
1 cup chopped walnuts


1.  Dissolve jello in 1-1/2 cups boiling water. 





2.  Pour into a bowl.  Add the Eagle brand milk 



and stir until dissolved.



3.  Add mayonnaise, cottage cheese, crushed pineapple and pineapple juice.


4.  Add walnuts and pour into mold until set.



There are not a lot details in this recipe but that's how it's written.  The jello is the small packages, not large and make sure you don't get the sugar-free kind.   They didn't make sugar-free in those days.  This will be the only green gelatin salad you'll ever need, it's that good.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had