Skip to main content

An Easter Treat: Chocolate Birds Nest


I found these on another food blog called Nutritious Eats so I must share.  All you do is melt the chocolate, stir in the pretzel sticks, form the nests and stick on some Easter candy for decoration. Fun, decorative and delicious (who doesn’t love the salty-sweet combo of chocolate & pretzels?). These will double as decorations and dessert for us this year.


Doesn’t get much easier than mixing pretzels with chocolate.

Makes 10-12 nests

Half pound pretzels sticks
8 ounce semi-sweet chocolate (I used baking bars and cut them in half)
4 ounce bittersweet chocolate, broken up into smaller pieces
Easter candy- Peeps, Chocolate or Malted eggs (You can use Whopper eggs, the same as Nutrition Eats blog used or Jordan Almonds that I used because of the beautiful Easter color.  Also, Hershey's chocolate eggs work well, or any small jelly beans)

1. Line a large cookie sheet or two with wax paper or parchment paper coated with cooking spray.


2. Melt chocolate over low heat in double broiler, stirring frequently until smooth. Reserve some chocolate for dipping candy to stick in nest (about 1/3 cup). You can also melt chocolate in microwave, 30 seconds at a time, stirring frequently until totally melted.


3. Stir pretzels into chocolate, stirring well to combine. 


4.  Using a large serving spoon, place a mound of pretzels on prepared cookie sheet, forming a small nest. Let cool for a few minutes before placing candy on (can place in fridge to help speed along). 


5. Dip candy into reserved chocolate and carefully place on nest. The tricky part about making these is to not get chocolate dripped all over the place, especially on the peeps or candy eggs. I keep a damp cloth near to wipe my fingers or drips before the chocolate hardens.




6.  Put cookie sheet in the refrigerator until nests are set. You can do this ahead and take them out a hour or two before your Easter meal.


Comments

  1. Hi Sylvia!! John and I use your blog for fun recipes almost weekly! We love the ginger chicken in the crock pot! Thank you for sharing. If you have other crock pot recipes I would love to try some more :). Talk to you soon, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input! I will make note to focus on more recipes like that to add to my collection. I love crock pot recipes, too, because they are so great for no-time-to cook days and there's nothing like a home cooking-like meal when you don't have time to cook. Thanks for using my blog!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had